Banana Leaf Grilled Fish with Coconut Cilantro Sauce
July 6, 2019
What better way to spring into summer? Time to get grilling! Give this heart-healthy and nutritious grilled fish recipe a try!
Add one of our salad or side dish recipes to pair with this delicious banana leaf wrapped fish. This versatile and delicious recipe is bound to be a hit!
Whether you decide to make this recipe with halibut, cod or another variation of white fish you can’t go wrong. White fish is known for its mild flavor and health supporting properties. Rich in vitamin B and high in protein, white fish is also low in fat.
The coconut cilantro sauce utilizes garlic and mint providing an additional health kick. Cilantro contains good amounts of antioxidants, vitamins and dietary fiber. Garlic boasts both flavor with the benefit of antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-fungal properties, supporting your immune system. Mint can support digestion and is a great antioxidant.
Give this recipe a try and enjoy – you can’t go wrong.
Gluten free and Dairy Free
Makes 6 servings
1/2 cup (4 fl. oz.) coconut milk
Juice of 3 limes
1 small bunch fresh cilantro
1/3 cup (1/2 oz.) fresh mint leaves
2 garlic cloves
1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 jalapeño chile, seeds and ribs removed
2 tsp. honey
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
6 white fish fillets, such as halibut or cod, about 6 oz. each
Vegetable oil for brushing
6 large fresh or thawed frozen banana leaves
(Look for banana leaves in Latin American and Asian markets, where they are sometimes sold fresh and can usually be found frozen as well)
1. Prepare a hot fire in a grill.
2. In blender or food processor, combine the coconut milk, lime juice, cilantro, mint, garlic, ginger, jalapeño and honey. Puree until thoroughly combined and fairly smooth. Season with salt to taste and set aside.
3. Brush each of the fish fillets lightly with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Place 1 fish fillet in the center of a banana leaf. Fold the bottom edge of the leaf over the fish, fold in the sides over the fish, and then fold the package away from you to enclose the fish in the leaf. Using kitchen twine, tie the packet closed. Repeat with the remaining fillets and banana leaves.
4. Arrange the banana leaf packets on the grill over direct heat and grill, turning once, until
the tip of a paring knife can be inserted into the fish without any resistance, 8 to 10
5. Transfer the banana leaf packets to individual plates and carefully open them. Serve
immediately with coconut-cilantro sauce alongside.