Recipes: Ratatouille with White Beans & Polenta
January 11, 2019
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small eggplant, cut into ½-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added white beans, rinsed
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup slivered sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 16- to 18-ounce tube prepared polenta (see Tip), sliced into 8 rounds
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- 1Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell peppers, sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
- 2Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pot. Add eggplant, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in places, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables.
- 3Add another 2 tablespoons oil to the pot. Add zucchini, sprinkle with the remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until browned in places, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beans, cherry (or grape) tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, Italian seasoning, pepper and the reserved vegetables; stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add polenta rounds and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn each slice and cook until browned on the second side, about 5 minutes more.
- 5Stir capers into the ratatouille. Serve the polenta and the ratatouille topped with pine nuts.
- Tips: Look for convenient tubes of precooked polenta in the pasta aisle or near refrigerated tofu at the supermarket.