Recipes: Roasted Cauliflower & Potato Curry Soup
January 4, 2019
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 fresh red chile pepper, such as serrano or jalapeño, minced, plus more for garnish
- 1 (14 ounces) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups diced peeled russet potatoes ( ½-inch)
- 3 cups diced peeled sweet potatoes ( ½-inch)
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 (14 ounces) can coconut milk
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 2Combine coriander, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, salt, pepper and cayenne in a small bowl. Toss cauliflower with 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture and toss again. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast the cauliflower until the edges are browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring often, until the onion is soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, chile, and the remaining spice mixture. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
- 4Stir in tomato sauce, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer for 1 minute. Add broth, potatoes, sweet potatoes, lime zest, and juice. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, partially covered and stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
- 5Stir in coconut milk and the roasted cauliflower. Return to a simmer to heat through. Serve garnished with cilantro and chiles, if desired.
- To make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 5 days.