Recipes: Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
January 10, 2019
- 1 3-pound spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- ½ cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- ¼- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place facedown in a microwave-safe dish; add water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until the flesh can be easily scraped with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Scrape the squash flesh into the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until the moisture is evaporated and the squash is beginning to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in ¼ cup parsley. Remove from heat, cover and let stand.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining ¼ cup parsley, ¼ cup Parmesan, ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, onion powder, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add turkey; gently mix to combine (do not overmix). Using about 2 tablespoons each, form into 12 meatballs.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs, reduce heat to medium and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 4 to 6 minutes. Push the meatballs to the side of the pan, add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushed red pepper to taste, the remaining ¾ teaspoon Italian seasoning and ¼ teaspoon salt; stir to coat the meatballs. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meatballs are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes more.
- Serve the sauce and meatballs over the squash, sprinkled with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan.